Water Cooler  

Go Back   Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

The Water Cooler Welcome to WickedWaterCooler.com a general discussion board, a forum and community discussion board dedicated to off topic subjects as an addition or an alternative to forums where off topic forums are not provided or too heavily moderated.

Old 07-01-2011
Not a Forum Owner

Default I was a dyed in the wool Chevy guy...........

from the culture of the deep South that made jokes about Fords and equated them with cheap junk............

But our collective ire was aimed at anybody seen driving a Rambler! We derisively called them "Nashes."

I had a friend who bought a new AMX in 1968, with the 390. I didn't want to insult him by calling his car a Nash, but I wasn't much impressed! Until he left my 1962 300H (413 2 4's and Ram induction) in the dust!

http://www.carlustblog.com/2011/07/a...-amx.html#more
Old 07-01-2011

you had a 300H with the cross ram 2x4 ? O f course the AMX beat it , weighs 1 ton less ! By the way ran a 13.46 with stock tires . Can't wait to get the cheater slicks , should pull a 12.8 or better , where is that merc you want to run against my crap box ?
http://musclecarfacts.net/1969-amx.html

AMX with 390 ran 14.4 or 11.0 with SS package , not bad on those F-70 14 tires that would smoke all the way up yhe track
Old 07-01-2011

Here are factory stock ratings for my shit box , listed at 275 HP 340 torque , mine has 412 HP 410 torque factory stock turned 14.8 , tires smoking no doubt so figure what mine can run . Might beat your Merc
Old 07-01-2011

You couldnt give me one of the Big Three. This hunk of shit stays broke.

60K on the clock -

Old 07-01-2011

I can only tell you my experience , GM trucks suck , the Ford and Dodge were much better . My last ford truck had 480,000 km on it and the only thing done on it besides maintenance and regular wear was transmission/transfer case covered under extended warranty and one wheel bearing under warranty . Other than that truck did not burn a drop of oil between changes everything including radiator was original . GM trucks had broken shock mounts , dead cam transmission x2 , steering parts go bad , can't list all that fucked up on those GM garbage trucks . Never touch a GM truck again
Old 07-01-2011

Jer whats your experience with Toyota?
Old 07-02-2011

none , I hear they are reliable . I can tell you I'll never buy nissan , spent 1800.00 changing a rusted AC line , they had to take the body off the frame to change the line , WTF ! What kind of brainiac designed these shit boxes ? Radiator leaked anti freeze into the transmission cooling section , not covered under warranty(lucky I caught it early , no damage ) , fuck that , I will never buy Craponesse again . At least with my Ford if something broke it was fixed under warranty NO QUESTION , with the craponesse they look for any excuse NOT to fix it under warranty .
Old 07-01-2011

413 with single 4bbl in a Plymouth belvedere 1964
Old 07-01-2011
Forum Owner

Traco L88 427 back in 1973 .... 565 on the dyno with stock internals .... a single 850 cfm Holley double-pumper (rules and all) ..

Racing the '69 C3 on a shoestring .... finished product at Laguna Seca later that year ..

J.
Old 07-02-2011

Amazing , love those big blocks .
Old 07-02-2011
Forum Owner

They are the best .... gave away a cracked L88 block back then ....

Can be repaired today - with the pedigree - bare block alone is worth ~ $15k today (no shiz) ..

Think this car is worth > $700,000 ?? ....

It is .... it's the American International Racing (AIR - James Garner) sister car - no. 45 ....

Sittin' in Dave's shop ..

http://www.airl88.com

Some poor iPhone pics of the original Traco block for that Corvette .... probably worth more than my BMW ..

J.

PS: Another nice read on those old L88's

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2526.html
Old 07-02-2011

Just amazing, buddy of min that just died had a 69 hemi charger leather interior power windows and 4 speed with 2 Ray Barton (mr hemi ) built hemis , bought it for $5,000.00 in 1984 , his sister just sold it last year for $50,000 . Did she get burnt ! The motors were fresh builds from Bartons Montreal shop from 1977- 1982 around that time ,I'd say the motors were worth at least 15-20 g a piece , and the original under 10,000 mile Charger body ?
Only valuable motor I had that I should have kept was a complete 440 six pac block with heads and 12.5.1 balanced TRW forged pistons , still have one of the pistons that broke when mallory came out of the crank hit piston at 6,000 rpm .
Old 07-02-2011
Forum Owner

Who would have thought .... I watched my friend change motors in his Charger back in the late 60's/early 70's most every month....

His Father always had the substitute 440 on the bench - amazing ..

It was just outstanding to behold - some supreme Father-Son bonding.

Shiz

J.

PS: The 426 Hemi-Cuda that ran 'round here was faster .. early B&M Hydro as I recall
Old 07-03-2011

California was THE place to be . You must have seen some amazing cars . What was the problem with the Charger ? 440 were pretty reliable , or was he just building stronger motors every month chasing that last bit of torque ?
Old 07-03-2011
Forum Owner

Default You got it right ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
just building stronger motors every month chasing that last bit of torque
His Father was an old-school hot rodder - their garage at home was well lit, equipped and spotless. It was always the place to drop by on a summer night.

Honestly, I remember that 440 pulling so hard off the line - there was daylight shining under the front tires (my memory ain't all that tho').

Tried to play with the Hemi-Cuda on my nearly 12 second '69 Kawasaki triple - what a joke. Left me gagging on tire smoke ....

We had some fun in the early 70's .... Dave dropped a tired 454 LS6 race engine into an old '65 Chevy Malibu .. kept the 283 fender insignias - the car looked almost stock. Probably contributed more to global warming in tire smoke alone back then when compared to a modern-day coal fired electric plant .... lolol

J.

J.
Old 07-03-2011

A 440 will pull that hard off the line for sure . If built properly they could keep up with stock or mild buildhemis , it's when you get into the ultra buck mills that the hemi is unbeatable . I know my 440 pulled well , it was in a 4600 lb Ramcharger 4x4 and it did well .
What Kawasaki did you have ? I still have my 750 triple , sure it could pull 12 sec with the header on it .
Sounds like you had some great times , 454 tired or not is still a' killer , must have been fun watching the faces of guys you were passing with a "283 " sleepers are a lot of fun .
Wish I still had a few of those motors , but shit happens , needed money or had no room to store things . Might sell my Kawasaki this year , moving soon and might not have room .