Water Cooler  

Go Back   Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

The Water Cooler Welcome to WickedWaterCooler.com a general discussion board, a forum and community discussion board dedicated to off topic subjects as an addition or an alternative to forums where off topic forums are not provided or too heavily moderated.

Old 07-12-2011
Water Cooler Member

Default Got a new groundhog slayer....(lotsa pics)

......been working on this for a few months....piece by piece as I found stuff the cheapest to make a poor-man's target/plinker/varmint rifle that shoots 9mm ammo. Hope everyone's summer is progressing nicely.

I finally got this to the range to break it in and shoot some photos as well.

This is a Just Right Carbine in 9mm. It's an AR based semi-auto platform. You can eject on either side or switch the bolt handle as well. This model takes standard Glock magazines. It can be had in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45. You can also buy caliber conversion kits. Pretty cool!

Here's the break down of everything:

- Hogue kit that includes grip and forend stock in ghillie tan. I got this at the York Gun Show for $90.00!
- Magpul PRS fully adjustable target buttstock in tan. I picked this up for $135.00 new because it was tan (less desireable apparently) and I had AMEX points to use on Amazon.com. Haha! These are normally $225.00+!
- Full length buffer tube (which has to be modifed to work properly with this bolt) I got this for $35.00 at the York Gun Show.
- Osprey 10-40X50 scope. I got this cheap from Sportsmanguide. $135.00! Is it as clear as a Nikon Monarch? No, but it gets me in close and holds zero. 1/8" adjustable turrets and even illuminated reticule as well. If I get the shits of it maybe I'll get a Simmons AOTEC or another Mueller APV, not sure yet.

It's sitting on a Predator bench rest which I got for $40.00 at Gander Mountain. I like it because it's light weight, fully adjustable, holds the rifles well, and is easy to carry due to it's side handle. The rifle itself I found brand new online & purchased for $499.00 from a dealer up in Vermont. This thing has the recoil of a .22LR due to the extra weight I have on it. lol.

Enjoy the pics.

- OmegaMan

All photos taken with a Nikon D3100.
Old 07-12-2011
Forum Owner

Interesting. Never heard of either Just Right or Osprey. Always regretted dumping my Marlin Camp 9

Certifiable member of the gun toting, over 60, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
....................................................................................
Old 07-12-2011

looks good for a franken rifle , not bad .
Old 07-12-2011
Forum Owner

Default that kinda cool

that kinda cool
Old 07-13-2011
Forum Owner

Start lookin' for case-lots of ammo to feed it ....

The butt-stock looks trick .... got enough eye relief on that scope ??

J.
Old 07-13-2011
Water Cooler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Raymond View Post
Start lookin' for case-lots of ammo to feed it ....

The butt-stock looks trick .... got enough eye relief on that scope ??

J.
Actually, I've just returned that scope. I gave it (2) chances, and I sent it back. Since I bought it from Sportsmanguide.com, they email you a pre-paid UPS shipping label, and give you a full refund.

The scope looks well made and I love the turrets, but the eye relief sucks balls, and at the higher magnification the optics are like looking through a hazy fish bowl. Fuck that shit!!!

I just purchased the highly positively reviwed Mueller 4.5-14x40mm AO Tactical Scope. I got it for $149.00 through OpticsPlanet's special deal where you get $20.00 off of $150.00 order when you use Amazon checkout. Original cost of scope was $169.00. Score!!

It has 1/8" adjustable turrets as well, and is much better reviewed than this shitty Osprey scope. I got a nice set of quick release rings for it as well. Mil-dot, non-illuminated.

Here's the new scope:

Should have known better than to buy that cheap shit. I have another Mueller on my best Ruger 10/22 Target.....that being the larger "Eradicator" series. It's awesome for 10/22 because it is has micro-fine crosshair and illuminated dot.

As for ammo, I buy all that bulk from Sportsmanguide.com. RWS, Magtech, etc you name it - they got - cheap!!

- OmegaMan
Old 07-13-2011

Wouldnt think youd need a high power scope on a 9 mil.
Old 07-14-2011
Forum Owner

Thats cool, but isnt the effective range only about 80 yards? Why the 22.250 scope?
Old 07-14-2011

+1?!? 9mm varmint round.. lolol
Old 07-14-2011
Water Cooler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo45 View Post
Thats cool, but isnt the effective range only about 80 yards? Why the 22.250 scope?
Actually, as I stated above I've already sent that POS back to Sportsmanguide.com for a full refund. I then proceeded to order a Mueller scope. Details above in my one post.

To answer your question about such power on a scope, it's because I like to see their beady little eyes before I blow their heads clean off.

Seriously.....look at my post above/below where I posted a photo of my custom target. How else are you going to shoot a dime, the Ace on a playing card, etc? Fuck it....I wanna be able to SEE what I'm shooting at!!

Also, the 9mm does very well even up to 200 yards. When I blasted it at 100 yards you should have seen the dirt kick up behind the target stand!!!! Nice!! The longer barrel makes it much more accurate of course......especially say out over a .45 ACP which drops like a lead ballon. Just Right is also considering producing a 10mm version (available as an upgrade kit to me) so that would really kick ass considering the 10mm is like a .41 magnum!!!

- OmegaMan
Old 07-14-2011
Water Cooler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
+1?!? 9mm varmint round.. lolol
Cheap, and it makes them go "Splat" if using JHP. Need I say more?
Old 07-14-2011
Forum Owner

Not very likely. For that you need a .204 Ruger.
Old 07-15-2011
Forum Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaman View Post
To answer your question about such power on a scope, it's because I like to see their beady little eyes before I blow their heads clean off.

- TED BUNDY
fixed that for you. chrissakes you need therapy.

Young man, shortening your life is no reason not to drink good Scotch
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
Old 07-15-2011
Water Cooler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
fixed that for you. chrissakes you need therapy.
You ever have a wood patio next to an in-ground pool? When we moved into our home 8 years ago, that's what we had. The fucking ground-hogs used that wood patio and the 3'-0" wide concrete pad around our 30'x16' in-ground pool as their private beach front housing!! I'm sure you've seen prairie-dog towns with those little fuckers making holes everywhere and sticking their heads up all over the place out there in the west, right? Well, imagine about 8-10 GROUNDHOGS, which get to be fucking huge and are flea-ridden, stinking sacks of shit, living all under your patio and digging out burrows under the pool concrete walk-way & patio? I was shooting at least 8 of them a summer, and it seems when I'd shoot one, more would just come and take their place.

I have since removed the wood patio and replaced it with a red paver'd patio which is fantastic. I also used the pavers around the pool concrete. I also replaced the back fence with PVC. They can no longer dig under patio or pool concrete. However, once in a while one will stroll into our back yard to munch on some freshly cut grass, etc. I've shot (1) already this year, and now another one is showing up. I use my custom Ruger .22's with CCI sub-sonic ammo so the neighbours don't hear. I just slide down the back living room window, rest the rifle on the window, and let the house take most of the noise.

I'm thinkiing maybe I'll get my JR 9mm's barrel threaded, that way I can blast that fat fucks with a silencer on and no one will hear a thing!!!!

Trust me......once you get the shits of those fat-fucking groundhogs, you like nothing more than to send them off to oblivion.

- OM
Old 07-15-2011
Forum Owner

in idaho my backyard at one point had 27 mounds of dirt from them. Sucked. one afternoon one of them had my basset hound cornered...the awnry little fuck...had to kill it. it was awful. J

ust dont see how that could be an enjoyable experience to look forward to.

Old 07-15-2011
Water Cooler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
in idaho my backyard at one point had 27 mounds of dirt from them. Sucked. one afternoon one of them had my basset hound cornered...the awnry little fuck...had to kill it. it was awful. J

ust dont see how that could be an enjoyable experience to look forward to.
Ahhh.....I think I see the problem as to why you don't understand.

It's NOT the killing of something that is enjoyable; it's taking pride in your WORK done right that is enjoyable. I target shoot for enjoyment, but blasting their heads off - not so much. I take pride in being able to rid the yard of such varmint with one shot.

I'm sure Marine Corp snipers don't really want to have to make someone's head into a pink cloud with a Remington 700 (.308), but they do it because they are good at their job and an instrument of justice. So be it.

What, you think The Angel of Death was all like, "Yeaaa, God gave ME the assignment to go down and KILL all of the first-born children of Eygpt - Yesssssssss!!!" No.....I don't think so. However, he did it nonetheless and did it well.

If you must blast 'em.......blast 'em well.

- OM
Old 07-15-2011
Forum Owner

well, your post indicates that you enjoy watching their beady little eyes before you blow their brains out.

anyway, moving along. not like im saying something i dont already know.

Old 07-16-2011

Angel of death enjoyed it on family guy